BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

NERVE RACKING AND FURIOUSLY PACED...

Today I began to learn a new game that will hopefully turn into something big in the future. I'll be a bit candid here, albeit humble for a change. Today was a very special day for me as I was asked at the last minute to sit in on the microphone for the training runs at Beaver Creek. These were not ordinary training runs, and they were not training runs in a sport I've had much experience with announcing before. These were downhill skiing runs, World Cup downhill skiing runs, and all though I have a fair understanding of the game, I have not actually done much ski racing in all my years of skiing, I have however watched a ton of it over the years, and listened to Tim Ryan and others paint the picture that takes place during the drama of a downhill race. This is an event that has athletes putting their lives on the line every time they step into the starting gate. The Vail Valley Foundation was put in a bind and I was happy to help them out last minute. FIS rules state that there must be announcers present at World Cup Downhill training runs, and so I was asked to be a part. I knew I was in over my head from the get go and was glad for a small crowd on day one of training to let me get my announcing feet under me as it was day one training for myself as well. I had the assistance of "JC" on the mic thankfully, he is heavily involved with the local race scene and knows the pro scene pretty well, and great to work with.Today, the Austrians had a good day, with Klaus Kroell rolling the fastest time by nearly half of second, which is a large margin in downhill skiing....

It's a funny scene and like any new job. When the curtain goes up, it's show time. There is no room for excuses like "oh, if I had a better warm up I would have raced better". It's just you, the race, the spectators and a thundering PA system that is carrying your voice to everyone in sight. You have to tell the story and paint a picture no matter what is happening, and I was nervous, most of the afternoon, and I stumbled a few times as I knew I would, and I also was right on top of it for a few fleeting moments. The action is fast, furious and non-stop, there is not much time for being cute up there.
To have the priviledge to call the names Carlo Jankla and Aksel Lund Svindal during a World Cup Downhill training day at the notorious Audi Birds of Prey Downhill course is beyond special. I can't wait to get better tomorrow. You really should come out and see the show if you get the chance. Day two of three training days should provide the crowd with skiers pushing the limits a bit more as they look for the perfect line on course and open it up the throttle while holding their "A" games for Friday morning. You can check the live training and race times HERE this week.
  
The Brits were in town representing...
It was a good day on the mic, and I felt much like some of the rookie skiers at the Birds of Prey course today. I tried skiing my own safe lines on the microphone, and will find a bigger comfort zone on day two, from there it's gonna be game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment