BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Monday, December 10, 2007

NED OVEREND AND KARL KIESTER COMING TO KC CX NATIONALS...

A BATTLE FOR THE AGES...NED VS. LARRY G AT NATIONALS. MY GOAL...TO NOT GET LAPPED TWICE.



I thought it appropriate to lay this post down prior to heading to Kansas City Wednesday morning with Charlie Brown and David Burns to race the Cyclocross Nationals this week. How do yoy qualify for Nationals you probably are asking? You pay your entry fees...now that is smart race promoting...allowing everyone who pays to show up and think they actually have a shot to finish even close to the leaders in their age group. In my case this means I'm lining up against Ned Overend, last year's National Champion in my age group, as well as Karl Kiester who has been taking the 35+ open field this year to the wood shed everytime he lines up and won a National Championship in 2003. Karl is 51, a year older than me. When Ned Overend enters the last night possible, everything else is a moot point. The last time I actually lined up against Ned was in 1984 at the Crested Butte Fat Tire Bike week, there were a total of 50 guys racing Mountain Bikes back then, I think I finished just behind the midway point of the field, Ned kicked my ass then, and he will kick my ass Saturday, Ned has kicked everyone's ass at some point. Suddenly my goal becomes to not get lapped TWICE in the 45 minute race. I must admit, it will be nice to see him a couple of times during the race. The reality of it all is truly to just go have a great time with the guys, race hard on Thursday and Saturday, and perhaps finish in th top half of my age group at a Nationals race. There will be lots of pics and videos to come hopefully. I just hope we survive the dreadful ice storm that is preparing to grip that part of the country...should be quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment