BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Saturday, June 13, 2009

NOTHING LIKE A VISIT TO DQ AFTER A LONG ROAD RACE....

After my third true road race ever, I can't say I suck at road racing anymore, because I don't. When the 45+ Cat 4's caught the back of the 35+ cat 3's today it was the real deal. I was nervous but stayed in the mix and just wanted to hang around and see how it all played out at the climb, getting to the front at climb time was going to be difficult. The yellow line rule was being heavily enforced by Johnny Law on the motor bike. When the front of the group made a WRONG turn at the Bond Post Office, I was suddenly at the front of 60 strong with the climb right in front of us. We did wait for the riders who did all the work to come back up, but by then we were heading up the hill, and I was mixing it up with the heavys. When we reached the summit, myself and a handful of others just missed the lead group, but we had numbers. And when Alan Christie joined us from behind I knew we had a chance, a chance to get back to the lead group which had about 25 seconds on us. 7 miles later after a vicious chase we were on, I could not believe it. Alan obviously felt good, I felt good, and when we came to the last climb before dropping into Dotsero Alan went, and got a gap. I was able to work up to about 6th position. I did not know what to do with myself I was so excited. Alan held his lead of about 5 seconds as we headed west on the frontage road and had another rider with him who faded fast back to the chase group. 2 miles to go, sit tight. When we caught Alan I was third wheel. I knew I could not out sprint many of the 35+ Cat 3's so I went for the respect move and took a pull, 1.5 km to go and at the front, not the best spot but I was going to finish with the LEAD GROUP, which was my goal, and we actaully finished with the lead group that started the day in front of us. When I was done up front, I signaled I was bailing left. And then disaster, as I swung outside left I crossed the double yellow line for ONE SECOND and got disqualified. It was a heart breaker to say the least, but a lesson learned. I pleaded my case with the official while on the back of the group and had no chance for a sprint. I finished second in my class, but got DQ'ed. Many of the racers told me afterward I should have just held my line and let guys come around me at that point, they were gracious, and sorry I got yanked, but I learned, it was my error. Absolutely one of the most exciting days I have ever had on a bike. I'll never acuse road racing of being boring again, never. Above Alan Christie, who went for the win but had no help, below, the exact spot 1km from the finish where I got disqualified. This view is looking back up the course from the finish end.

No comments:

Post a Comment