BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Sunday, November 22, 2009

GREEN MOUNTAIN SPORTS CX, BRUTALITY ON WHEELS

When I lined it up today with just ten shy of 100 at the start of the 35+ 4 race, the infamous Greg Keller of Mud and Cowbells was retrieving some clothing from the start line he had tossed prior to the start of his race. I called out for him to give us a smile, as he looked like he had just gotten in between Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan during a closed cage death match. When he barely turned his head and looked as if he had never heard of a smile, I knew we were in for something special. If you race cross, you somehow mistakenly pray for conditions and a course like today's Green Mountain Sports Cross in Golden, and it's all fun and games until the whistle blows. Now I'm not one to make excuses, but when the alien space ship appeared in the sky out of no where today on lap three of the four we did, and hit me with the dreaded energy sapping kryptonite ray of mortality, holy shit I almost fell to my knees and cried to the CX gods and begged for mercy. "Please make this stop" I screamed internally as rider after rider passed me. Actually, I was quite surprised my 40lb. mud covered bike did not just fall over from so little forward moving momentum. With that said, of course as soon as I crossed the finish line, 37th, I was happy as a pig in shit and could not wait to line it up again and see the alien space craft one more time...we are sick people us CX racers...

5 comments:

  1. Good racing with you today. I saw that alien ship but since I never was going fast, I just thought it was a balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday was agonizing, even for us ladies later in the day. I was talking to some guy prior to the start of my SW4 race and he was all "This is hell. Its fun. But its HELL." I'm hurting all over this morning but could not be happier.

    P.S. Love the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a race of attrition. Nice work, got shots from the bar cam?

    FG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post Larry.

    Did you end up getting any video of the start. That was pretty crazy.

    Mike Steinberg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys and gals, I've got the entire race video from my bar cam. I've been having problems uploading to YouTube for some reason the past week. But I'll try and get some stuff up, I may have to try Vimeo. I can barely watch the last lap, but Kudos to the 12 or so guys that passed me! I was DONE.

    ReplyDelete