BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Monday, August 4, 2008

AS FOR ME....IT WAS A NEW DAY AT STATES.


One of the satisfying things I have found over the years of riding bicycles, as with anything in life, is the ability to sometimes overcome the "bad days" and the adversity while doing something incredibly difficult and doing better the next time. After my debacle in Snowmass I was ready to go Sunday as Sol Vista was a course better suited for my style of riding....alot of power sections and climbing that was not brutally steep. I had hoped to stay with Tom Kimmel through the first climb, but I felt pretty poor right out of the box and Tom played it cool and smart as he rode my wheel for the first two thirds of the initial climb. When he sensed I was a bit "off" he passed and put down a wicked pace which I declined to follow with the hopes I could pull him back later...never happened, however, once we reached the summit of lap number one, I found my legs and everything kicked in. Michael Starita, who wooped on me pretty good at the Mass, passed me at the top of the first climb and got a minute or so on me descending, when I finally got back on him at the top of the second lap it was game on big time, the attacks were viscous, and with 2 miles left I put in a couple of all or nothing efforts to try and drop Mike who was having some drive train issues from a crash earlier. I continued to cat and mouse as he bridged the gap back up to me everytime I left him. With under a mile to go I was in trouble and knew I needed some space before we hit the switchbacks into the finish to hold him off, one more effort was all I had and I got about 12-15 seconds on him before dropping down the ramp into the finish area. I was done, and Mike was charging around every switchback. The gap closed quickly and I could'nt go anymore, I held him off by 4 seconds. Another switchback or two and he'd have gotten me for certain..it was a war.
We then drank beer.

On a side note, when your race age is 51, you will take any help you can get to creep back in a race. So, swallowing my pride, I must send out a huge thank you to Alicia Pastore (Junior Expert Woman) from Durango who worked with me (and pulled most of it) to the top of the second climb which got me back in the race for second, what a talented young chica rider she is, I could not have comeback without your help...thanks



Above, Alex Coleman finishing up a grueling SS race in the heat of the day.
Below, the appreciatcha peanut gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment