BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Thursday, March 26, 2009

BIG MOUNTAIN SKIER SHANE MCCONKEY PASSES IN BASE JUMPING ACCIDENT

In 1993, after living in Summit County for 10 years and skiing "The Legend" Arapahoe Basin nearly everyday during the winter of those ten years, I was standing at the bottom of Slalom Slope when I noticed this kid come ripping down the bump face like no one I had ever seen, including at that time big timer bump and extreme skiers Justin Patnode and Dean Cummings. I waited for the kid to get to the bottom of the run where I stood and did not recognize him when he stopped close by. He wore a funky "monk" type hat and had long hair as I remember. I told him I had never seen anyone rip the shit out of Slalom Slope like that before to which he quietly replied "really?" I said "yeah really, that was sick". I introduced myself to him and he told me his name was Shane McConkey. If you follow extreme skiing events at all you know that Shane went on to become just about the best at the extreme game and was an amazing talent. Shane passed today in a Base Jumping accident. A2B sends out the best thoughts to Shane's family and friends. to this day I've never seen anyone ski Slalom Slope better.

No comments:

Post a Comment