BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Monday, November 3, 2008

WHEN IT ALL GOES BAD....BOULDER CUP 2008, 90 SECONDS AND A CLOUD OF DUST...

yes cross fans, that is a tire mark.The start was perfect, I had somehow managed to roll up to row 2 after the short call up and was in prime territory for the front 20 riders on lap one. At the whistle, the pace was furious for our group, max velocity quickly and all was good, I had a couple of guys there I like to ride close to. Top 20 or so in the first corner. The sprint out across the "goathead" field remained calm and chaotic all at the same time as one rider was off the "the good line" and a little squirrely, no sweat, he got his space and got "in". Barreling down on the hard lefthander into the wooded section along the lake I passed two riders as I moved up, and felt the second rider I passed still inside as we approached the corner. No problem, there was enough room for two wide going in and I stayed way wide, we could sort out the order after the "dock" barrier which was quickly approaching. The pace was perfect and everyone was rolling nicely. A quick glance inside to make sure the guy had enough room, it was all good, he was diving in tight. And then disaster, the two riders in front of me LOCKED up their brakes with out warning. Big Chris who was right in front of me had to shut down due to the rider in front of him braking, he had to brake so hard his bars slipped, as I piled it into the back of him, I went over the bars, and I went over big. I stayed clipped in when I went over bringing the bike with me and what followed was pure mayhem. I had never been "the guy" in a crash before but now I was square in the middle of it on a very tight part of the course where the pace was still high. The sounds of metal and carbon clashing, the pounding of bike frames, pedals, tires and the soles of racers shoes were suddenly battering my body, the first couple of racers behind me just rode over me, the next dozen or so dismounted and ran over and through me, the cries of "man down, man down" were more intense than I had ever heard. I assumed the bear attack position according to one racer, balled up and covered my head with both my arms during the onslaught. I was cut and bleeding and felt as if I may have broken a rib in the pile up. It still was not over, I somehow had to manage to get up, assess the damage and move on. Ribs hurting, both legs streaming blood, wrist hurting, and the adrenaline, my god, I burned half my energy just trying to survive being battered.
Me after the wreck.....
I got back on the bike, very near the back of the 80 man field. The first dismount at the barrier, my front wheel was not spinning, stop, adjust the quick release, remount ride, then a minute later a flat tire, all of this from the pile up, ride the flat to the pit, change the wheel, get back out there and try, try for the people who came to watch us race. The next three laps I was basically in shock, the last two I was actually trying to race again, I could barely get over barriers, but I finished, only due to friends and fans enouraging me more than anything. Thanks to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment