BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER....


30 Seconds into my racing weekend, in the 40+ B race, ELGEE took a beating when rolling out of the start, at probably 25-30 miles on hour on the asphalt, a rider somewhere from behind went down for reasons unknown and fell into my back wheel, I never knew what hit me, sending me head first into the steel retaining fence and down to the road. The medical staff just spent 20 minutes patching me back up and trying to keep me from getting "shockey". Lots of blood, lots of bruising, a busted spoke in my rear wheel, jacked shifter, handlebars twisted 90 degrees, and a rubbing brake, I can now barely sit down, but, after the crash, I worked on the bike for a minute, got it close to running well, and got back in the race, waaaay off the back. Caught about 32 guys, then crumbled into the medical wagon...I finished. I hope to hell someone got pictures or video of the crash. As soon as I can push the button on my camera I'll post some wound pictures, now it's off to the appropriate blood and mud ball.

Gary Thacker from Colorado won a Masters national title today, he absolutely crushed the field.

3 comments:

  1. I was racing w/Larry in this race and was coming up on his inside when I saw the gruesome crash. Larry is a friggin stud to complete the race. He has my admiration. Larry, my friend, you should race on Sat. Even if you think you're just out there to spin your legs. Your racing spirit will take hold and you'll be glad you did. (But I'll respect you if you don't!)

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Elgee! Hope you heal up quick... and get to check out some good racing in the meantime.

    There's a hell of a lot to say about getting up from a crash like that, and finishing off the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys, it was a monster, and I'm on my third set of gauze already...gonna be tough sleeping tonight, but I'm smiling, trust me. Trued my wheel back up after replacing the spoke, straightened out my brake hood and I'm ready to roll if I can. And here is the best part....I took 32 guys after I got back up. I'm very psyched and glad nothing in broken.

    ReplyDelete