BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Thursday, October 8, 2009

THERE WAS A DAY...

Many years ago when I was a rabid sports fan. Then you move to Colorado and realize that it is so much better to go DO SOMETHING than go watch somebody else do something that odds are is going to piss you off or bum you out, ask Cub fans. I followed all the teams that interested me to a tee, knew all the players, the stats and all the rest of the bullshit. Then the modern era of sports came about, when players just said fuck it if they were not receiving filthy amounts of money or getting their egos stroked 100% of the time and simply said "I'm not going to play today" virtually screwing over the fans that put them there. I mean, there was great value as a child knowing that the New York Mets would have Cleon Jones and Tommy Agge in the outfield every season, and Tom Seaver and Ed Kranepool playing as well. Those days are gone. With that said, on a day when it was for shit outside and the Rockies were playing on TV, I actually went to the coffee shop (Yetis) and watched the Rockies play the Phillies today, and I actually found myself squirming in my chair for the last few innings of the game pulling for the Rox. It was excruciating to watch as they let the Phillies slip back in during the late innings and I found myself once again trying to control a bunch of crap I have no control over...I mean it's fucking as stupid as it gets. But I was also AT the very first home game the Rockies ever played on April 9th, 1993. And I saw the first batter ever for the Rockies, Eric Young, hit the ball out of the park during the FIRST Rockies at bat ever at home, it was sick. 80,000 fans in Mile High lost it. You had to submit an application to a lottery for tickets to that first home game and I lucked out getting 4 of em. So I guess I've got some Rox somewhere deep in my blood.
With that said, I may miss alot of the rest of the games because I'm doing shit, but it would be cool to see this happen again...because it may not be the Mets at Age 12, but it was pretty cool when this happened, and it would be cool if it happened again, I may even try to learn who most of the players are, not Cleon Jones for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment