BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

The only place to stay current on the latest manic ramblings from the Florida Panhandle.

CHEEKY FLY REELS, THE OFFICIAL REEL OF BALLS TO THE WALL FISHING

Saturday, October 25, 2008

HOW I PERSONALLY KNOCKED THE BOSTON RED SOX OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS...

When I arrived at my brother's place in Boston last Saturday, I knew the Red Sox support would be at a fever pitch. Having won game 5, which was an elimination game for Boston, game 6 was that eve and we were heading over to some friends place for dinner and baseball watching. Not my first choice, but as it turned out, as entertaining as a Seinfeld episode. Pictured above is the Nicola Pizza shop. Apparently in 2004 my brother had started a tradition when the Yankees were simply inialating the Red Sox in the Playoffs and were up 3-0 in games when he decided that if his beloved Red Sox were going down, he was at least going to enjoy a wonderful Nicola Chicken Parm pizza. He ordered, picked it up and ate, the Red Sox won. For the next nine elimination playoff games that the Red Sox would play in over the next few years my brother called into Nicola and ordered up a Chicken Parm pizza for the game, the Red Sox won all nine games including the game we watched that eve. Funniest part of the story is that EVERYONE in Arlington and Boston had become aware of the tradition and made sure that he had ordered the pizza on the days of these elimination games, I mean the post man was even in. Everyone made sure on game day he was ordering the pizza so the Sox were guaranteed a win. On the eve of game 7 last Sunday, my bro and his wife thought it would be nice to head out for a great dining experience and decided to head out for dinner to a fantastic restaurant in West Newton where my nephew Ben works as an assistant to the Executive Chef. Dinner was amazing. Not sure how many courses we had but they were plentiful and a delight to the taste buds. ALL of the employees mentioned the Chicken Parm pizza from Nicola while we ate dinner and we reassured that we were picking it up on the way home for the game, we could snack on it for the seventh inning stretch or something. Only one problem, Nicola closes early on Sunday, we missed the call-in, did'nt get the pizza, and of course the Sox lost. So of course, taking me out to dinner actually is the reason the Sox got knocked out when it comes down to it. The final text from my niece who is away at college read, "you blew it for all of Boston" when she found out the Chicken Parm pizza was not ordered...I waited until I got back to Colorado to tell the story so I did not end up in this graveyard when the Sox fans found out, nice colors though.

No comments:

Post a Comment